Friday 6 May 2011

GameSpot UK Internship Recap

Hello everyone! In a world where everyone wants to be heard it's certainly tough to raise your voice above the rest--fortunately I bellow so loud you'll probably hear me all the way from your PC monitor.

My name is Igor Kharin, 21 years old, about to graduate from the University of Cardiff with a degree in BA English Language & Communication. I've been writing since I can remember for various sites about various topics--video games, sports and music included. A vast array of my work can be found here at http://uk.webuy.com/blog/. Computer Exchange has been a great resource for allowing me to review video game content over the years and I hope to continue working for them in the forseeable future.

Anyway, moving on to the main topic of the blog--I was fortunate enough to earn an internship at CBS Interactive, more specifically for GameSpot UK and my first blog will be a recap of everything I learned and accomplished with the team. At this point I'd like to extend my gratitude to everyone at CBS and GameSpot UK once again for welcoming me to the team and helping me progress throughout my time there.

The internship lasted 4 weeks, but due to the ridiculous amount of bank holidays and the royal wedding, it was only 15 working days. Regardless, those days were incredibly productive, mutually of course.

The most important thing I learned was the importance of media journalism--gone are the days of the paper and pad journo and enter the world of voice-overs, videos and lots of other digitally inspired media. This is an incredibly exciting prospect, in a world where talk, talk and more talk runs the show, I feel like I can thrive. I learned that I'm certainly no tech-wizard, but I'd love to give it a go one day. Nevertheless, the contemporary media journalism world is where I belong.

Here is a list of the work published by myself during my time there;


Transformers was by far my most successful piece at GameSpot so it gets first mention. The article saw front page status on the US (30 million unique monthly users), AU (1.3 million) and UK (4.6 million) sites, paving the way for lots of user discussion. I was shocked at how the article took off but very proud that I was part of something so big.


This article gave me the opportunity to interview TIGA CEO Dr. Richard Wilson on his views about the Government's policies towards Game Tax Relief--incredibly interesting stuff.


A news editor role has always been very appealing to me, so working on pieces such as this will hopefully give me experience with the style of writing required to bring news to an audience.


With the expo itself coming at the end of the month, the buzz can certainly be felt by many in the video game community. As a result, this also saw front page status on the UK page.


This preview gave me the opportunity to work with audio kit and record a voice over from the script I wrote. An excellent introduction into contemporary media journalism.

The internship was the best 4-week experience of my life. It solidified my intention of working in the media journalism industry--and if I am fortunate enough to choose, the video game industry specifically.

However, now that this is history, it is time to move on. After my exams finish in 2 weeks time I will put significant time into the industry as I search for work. Stay tuned in to my blog where you will find regular opinions about the current climate of the video game industry, reviews and news. I like to think that everyone has something they can contribute to the plethora of opinions out there, but you will find enthusiastic, elaborate and I hope, interesting views here.

Thanks for reading and speak to you soon. Follow me on twitter @ss4Igor

No comments:

Post a Comment