Friday 23 December 2011

2011 Game of the Year #09 - Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3



Number 9 on my list is another conventional title, but once again how can you ignore a game that made $750 million in its first week of sales? I very much put FIFA and Call of Duty in the same boat as both titles are frowned upon by the more elite batch of gamers (who will be pleased with the later part of my list), but I completely disagree with the notion that ‘real’ gamers can’t also enjoy the aforementioned.

For me Modern Warfare 3 is a prime example of ‘don’t fix what is not broken’ (although arguing it’s not broken is a whole other story), a staple formula that works has taken the gaming community by storm, so why the huge fuss when once again, only minor changes were implemented? Ultimately, there has to be something entertaining here if everyone  complains yet simultaneously can’t seem to stop playing.

If you were to ask me to describe Modern Warfare 3 in one paragraph, I’d answer with the following; “smaller maps prevent camping, new killstreak variants offers easier entry for less skilled players, more ways to earn experience points including through your weapons which in theory should force weapon cycling, the campaign concludes in great fashion and SPEC OPS mode kicks serious ass.” So as you can see, you shouldn’t be going into Modern Warfare 3 expecting a whole lot different, but if you enjoyed previous installments, it’s absolutely guaranteed you will enjoy this one to.

You can’t blame Activision for clinging onto their winner, if all I had to do was tweak my previous game to sell $750 million worth of units in one week, I’d be riding that band wagon all the way home. They have simply epitomized the click (or should I say shoot) and reward mechanic and it’s because of this gamers can’t seem to put the damn pad down. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game where it’s actually justifiable to level up to maximum, then willingly press a button to strip all your content and start again from scratch – it’s freaking genius. If there ever was a game to lose countless hours in, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 should be your number one choice.

Favourite things about Modern Warfare 3: 

The thrill of racking up a huge killstreak and bringing in the big guns. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more of a bad ass with a support chopper hovering over me while a Pave Low demolishes the battlefield – +100 after +100, glorious victory.

The cool new killstreak variants potentially make Modern Warfare 3 a much more team-oriented experience, especially the support packages. No more going commando on the other team, it’s all about looking after your fellow teammate.

Spec Ops mode is badass – I’m a huge zombie fan so I was a bit miffed that I had to play this new game mode but it has definitely grown on me.

Most annoying things about Modern Warfare 3: 

The maps are nowhere near as good as Modern Warfare 2’s selection. All the new maps are so freaking gray you can hardly see anyone – I have a sweet TV and I expect the advantages to be apparent, but the colour schemes blend everything together, which is incredibly frustrating for me.

Why do they even bother making a campaign mode anymore for these games, seriously?

Thanks for reading and check the blog tomorrow as a devilishly difficult role-play game claims the number 8 spot on my list of 2011’s best games.

As always, check me out my Twitter @ss4Igor

No comments:

Post a Comment