Thursday 22 December 2011

2011 Game of the Year #10 - FIFA 12


I’m going to start the list off with a very conventional title, but there’s good reason for it. The FIFA series has literally been a staple multiplayer experience for me since FIFA 09 – so much so that it’s arguably my fondest video game memory throughout my three years at University (FIFA drinking, I’m looking at you old friend).

The simulator naturally puts off gamers who don’t like football, but it’s really a huge shame considering how incredible the detail, physics and gameplay are. The FIFA series is the most accurate depiction of any sport on the market and the epitome of football simulation.

To get around this whole “if you don’t like football, you won’t like a football game” logic, I decided to get a few friends of mine who simply hate football and make them have a go on FIFA, just to see if they can at least appreciate the game for its technical prowess.

The general response was you HAVE to like football to really get the most of FIFA 12 because it has become so realistic, you actually need to understand how a real defensive line behaves and be in tune with the ins-and-outs of proper football. However, they did acknowledge that gameplay felt smooth and it really was a fantastic interpretation of the real sport. I could see a little bit of fire in their eyes as they for the slightest of moments, became engrossed in the experience, but their stubbornness against the sport quickly withdrew them from the mental grasp FIFA can so easily put on players.

I normally don’t like putting games that are churned out every year into any of my ‘best of’ lists but when a game is this technically efficient, so life-like and provides endless replay value in the multiplayer scene, quite frankly it’s really hard to ignore it. FIFA 12 is another accomplishment in what is now becoming a long list of great iterations of FIFA’s football simulator.

If you’re a football fan or happen to be one of the minority who enjoy the games but not the actual sport, you have to own FIFA 12 – there’s literally no excuse.

Favourite things about FIFA 12: 

I love the thrill of scoring in stoppage time. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing your friend slump in defeat as you claim that vital winner on the 93rd minute; it’s gaming bliss, euphoria overload!

The fantastic new physics engine makes bone-crunching tackles look so life like that you literally squirm in your seat – it’s terrific.

Wayne Rooney was digitised with his new hair transplant, #winning.

Most annoying things about FIFA 12: 

When you pass the ball back to the goalkeeper, they always seem so shaky. It’s just something I’ve noticed, when I give the ball back to Cech I expect to feel safe but every time I’m on the edge of my seat.

The R1/Right Bumper Finesse Shot that always goes into the top corner and is literally unstoppable (or as we like to call it, the Ashley Young special). Seriously, they need to get rid of that shot, why did chipping get nerfed so badly yet that shot is still so broken?

I suppose everyone was expecting me to talk about the new tackling mechanic, well to be honest I’m quite fond of the new system, makes it more challenging.

Thanks for reading and come back tomorrow as I reveal a certain shooter as number 9 on my list of 2011’s best games. 

As always, check me out on Twitter @ss4Igor

No comments:

Post a Comment